Monday, October 6, 2008

Response to "Medicating Childhood Obesity"

This blog was about different ways to try and lower levels of obesity. One way they talk about is using drugs. WHAT?!?! Why do we need to drug up children just to control their weight? I think that is a little too drastic and is taking it way too far. Another way to stop this epidemic is to encourage physical activity. PE is now a requirement in high school, but is that really enough? I hated PE in high school. The first year I took it, we barely even walked every day. The second year I had it, we were required to do any of the following: 2 mile run, 1 mile run, 20 minute power walk, and push ups and sit ups. It was definitely better than the first year but I still believe it didn't much for me. Meals in schools need to be better also. Schools need to start serving more nutritious meals and encouraging children to want to eat healthy so they live longer. We need to act now or pay the unacceptable price later.

1 comment:

elyse. said...

Giveing kids drugs in order for them to lose weight is crazy, and dangerous. And on the subject of PE I don't think it helps kids out in any way. Everybody hates PE in middle school and high school except the stuck up's. Nobody does anything. I remember coming home from school one day and telling my mom we had lab manuels to do work in, in PE, and that I had homework, in PE. She was one a little confused and two thought it was kind of dumb. I mean it's called Physical Education right? Why is there paperwork. I think for PE to be successful in school it needs to be more fun and kids should be able to learn games that they actually might like, instead of learning crazy lame games that you've never ever heard of before.