Monday, October 6, 2008

Response to "Childhood Obesity: The Educational Cost"

"If the current childhood obesity trend in the United States continues, by 2050, at least half the population will be obese and could very possibly be less educated than the overall population today". This is a very scary statistic because this is my generation. I do not want to grow up with half my generation missing. Once a child has become obese, they are less likely to pursue an education. Food in schools is terrible these days. Schools serve food that is cheap and has no nutritional value. Nowadays, there are certain laws that schools must follow but the standards are nowhere near where they should be. I remember in elementary school and middle school, I never ate school lunches. My mom always packed lunches for me and I hated it because the food looked so tasty. If I were to go back and see the food now, I would probably be very nauseated. It is very disgusting how they prepare it and shows how bad it is for you. The author of the blog blames a big part of childhood obesity on the parents. I agree with her view because parents should be watching out for their children so they live to be 50. Children need to learn at a young age because they are in control of their life too. Children when they reach a certain age understand obesity and the basics of it. I think childhood obesity is going to require a lot more work to fix than people think.

No comments: