As you can tell, my issue is childhood obesity. I have been looking for good websites that relate childhood obesity and how mass media portrays them for at least 3 days now and I am having the hardest time finding information. Every website and book that I look at talks about childhood obesity and the amount of TV they watch. I just got back from the library and i found some books that I think can give me a little help.
1) Childhood Obesity in the United States. Marie K. Frugier (Editor)
2) Cultural Studies: Medicine and Media. Lester d. Friedman (Editor)
3) Weight Bias: Nature, Consequences, and Remedies. Kelly D. Brownell (Editor)
I have looked at many different websites and read at least 35 different one's and have found some that relate somewhat to my research, but it seems like I am not going to find very many. A couple that I have found are:
1) The Role of Media in Childhood Obesity
http://www.kff.org/entmedia/upload/The-Role-Of-Media-in-Childhood-Obesity.pdf
2) Obesity News
http://www.medindia.net/news/Media-Say-Obesity-Is-Our-Own-Fault-27888-1.htm
3) Choice and Voice: Obesity Debates in Television News (This website is also a scholarly article).
http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/187_08_151007/bon10486_fm.html
I think with these six sources, I am off to a good start, but it's going to take some time for me to find more scholarly articles that have to do with the way media portays obesity rather than the impact of television watching on obese children.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment