Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Engagement Hours

Well, well, well...now it's time to start thinking about what we can do about our issues. My issue is childhood obesity and the obvious answer would be to exercise and eat healthier, but it's not that easy. Nutrition in schools is an even bigger issue. School lunches tend to not be so healthy because their top priority is to make money, not to watch their children's weight. They buy their food in bulk, which can't be a good source of nutrition. Recently, California lawmakers have begun to combat the obesity problem by writing a bill that bans the sale of sodas in schools and sets requirements for food sold on campuses during school hours. Of course, this is only a baby step, but this is what it takes to get going. Tackling a problem as big as childhood obesity is no easy task, but it needs to be done. I was looking online for different things I could do for my engagement hours and a lot of the sites I found wanted money for everything. I don't want to just donate money and be done with it. That's not why I chose this topic. I want to do hands on activities and help people in person. How is my money going to help them lose weight and gain self-esteem? People want money for everything these days. I think I am going to volunteer at an after-school program somewhere. I haven't found any yet that I can do but if anyone has any idea's, please tell me and help me out!!!

1 comment:

Curtis said...

haha.. put you to shame? That's a bit drastic isn't it? But, I like your topic, I think that Nicki has the same one? I think it's really intersting because of the opposing views; they both make valid points. Some blame school, poverty and the fast food industry while others blame the personal decisions of the parents. I heard abiout the banning of sodas at schools, and my high school even had to keep items at the snack bar under a certain calorie amount per serving which I thought was a little extreme. Even though it seems like the world has gotten too touchy about blaming institutions for childhood obesity, I think it's a necessary step towards a possible solution, and it definitely helps to show kids alternative choices on how to choose between a healthy and unhealthy lifestyle. I'm looking forward to keeping up with your blog as well as Nicki's; your subjects definitely interest me. P.S. Good stuff on having your mom as a resource, it's going to be a cakewalk for your engagement hours.. and cake can equal fat kids.. they like cake.. everybody likes cake.